Sunday, May 10, 2020

About lockdown

At first it was full of uncertainties. We didn’t know how it was going to be. None of us has any experience being locked in the house for this long. People went crazy buying food stock, more than what is needed. Myself included.

After being in lockdown for over almost 2 months now, we are starting to get the hang of it. I’m starting to realize it isn’t so bad. We could be in worse situation. Our unhappiness all comes from being bored, kids are on their devices way too much, online school isn’t really working (it could be better), we are missing the outside world especially our dear friends and family, and that is pretty much it. But not everyone is like us. There are many that are less fortunate than us.

The frontliners who is working nonstop for the country to fight covid-19

The people with no food to feed their kids due to loss of jobs during the RMO. Not being able to pay rent.

The people who are in hospital to fight this covid 19 and had to be separated from their families. Their families not able to be near or to be there for them. Not knowing if they will make it or not.

So ya, I count my lucky stars and wonder why I am so lucky. My issues aren’t even worth mentioning if I compare them to the rest of the people mentioned above.

There’s something amazing about the lockdown for us...

We started praying berjemaah together with my husband as the imam. Our kids seem to enjoy this as well. Don’t ask why we have not done this before but this lockdown made us do it for the first time and it is wonderful. Certainly brought us closer together in our spiritual journey.

I also started reading the Quran again. I’ve left it for way too long. I’m surprised at how I can pick it up again having not read it in more than 20 years. Slowly learning it again and Alhamdulillah slowly but surely, I will get to qatam it. I've also started learning the translations and trying to understand Quran better. 

My interest in cooking is slowly coming back. I used to hate cooking (and I still do) but being at home makes me want to try different dishes and so far, it has been pretty great. We made pizza, baked cookies - something we’ve never done before together. It is pretty cool.

We are definitely spending more quality time together. Our morning sahurs with the kids. Playing board games / cards / electronics together. Our sembahyang berjemaah sessions. Cooking together. Watch scary movies together. All those things are the things we treasure and when we look back, I'm sure we will cherish these moments together. 

Life was pretty hectic prior to lockdown days. Now that we are on RMO, we have more time to spare and more time to waste. This luxury is something we didn’t have before.

Alhamdulillah for all the blessings. While we are enjoying our time at home, do not forget about the people around you who are less fortunate.

I’ve done my part to help a few families who are in need. It is heartbreaking to see some with no money for food, no money to even get to work (no money for petrol), children with no slippers to even play outside their house and single moms struggling to pay rent. Look for these types of families to help. I found a few and InsyaAllah, will try my best to help them. Please try to look for them and please help. 

If you know where to find these families, please write in the comment. With social media and Internet, it is easier for us to find them to offer help. I found them on Syed Azmi’s page. Let’s do our part. Trust me, RM100 may just be 1 meal for us, but to them RM100 can go a long way. It can feed their family for a week, sometimes. My heart feels for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what?!