Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Artsy week

I've always been interested in Art but I never took it up. I guess I never had the time to actually pursue it. I would like to think I am a creative person too but I don't think there's much talent there, unfortunately. I do enjoy art.

Whenever I see abstract paintings, I always say to myself "wow, I could do that!" or "I can do better than that!" but of course, what do I know. I've never really painted anything in my life. I've admired paintings before but I have no idea the process, the techniques that is needed. I basically have no clue but sometimes, I think I can do a better job.

Since we were still in our last phase of the Restriction Movement Order, now is the best time to start painting. Right? I have all the time in the world. With Youtube tutorials, there isn't much excuse to learn anything when you have time. I went and got some art supplies. No idea what I needed, I just went ahead and ordered whatever I felt I needed. Shopee and Lazada was my best friend.


I started with Painting by Numbers. Anyone can do that, right? First few days, it didn't look like anything. I was pretty hard work but therapeutic at the same time. After a week, it is almost done. But the hardest is also completing the last bit. (To be honest, it has been weeks, I am still not 100% done with it. I've somehow lost interest in it!)

I then started exploring the IG of some artists and I found some that is more suited to my style. Boy, I wish I can paint like them. One of my favourite is Elle Byers. I love her paintings!!! I found a youtube tutorial that she did and tried to copy it.

Tadaaaaa... I was pretty impressed. Although it is nothing like the real thing, I was happy with the outcome. I love the colours.

The next day, I wanted to do something on my own. I love the colours and although it didn't turn out like what I had in mind, I was still happy with it. This is so awesome! Who knew painting would give me so much joy?! I am so good! (Even if I have to say so myself!)


My kids saw me painting and wanted to join the fun. I am quite OCD with my paintings and didn't want them to mess it up. I figured, doing abstract is better with kids because you can never go wrong with abstract. I was quite happy with the outcome of our first abstract together. The top piece was what we did together. Everyone had their input in that painting and I think it looked really good.

The piece on the bottom was something I painting in memory of my grandma. I was really therapeutic because as I was painting, tears was flowing down my cheeks. It didn't turn out as I pictured it, the colours didn't turn out like what I had in mind but somehow, I feel like it just works. It is all my grandma's favourite colours and somehow I can picture her in a kurung that colour.


This is another piece I did. Not bad right? I have no experience playing with colours and most of the time, I fail to achieve the colours I wanted but in the end it turned out pretty OK. I did this piece with my daughter. I love it.


My daughter is also keen in art. She wanted us to draw something together and we picked on this tutorial on youtube. It is very easy to do and I think age appropriate for her. My son did this on his own one day but my daughter is more of a perfectionist, it is harder for her.

So there you go, our (My) various art pieces for the week. It has been really amazing and fun. I love sitting in my corner painting while my kids are on their zoom class. I wish I had my own studio. I picture myself with my messy hair, in my pyjamas, with my apron on painting in a studio full of colours but for now, it is just me with my messy hair, in my pyjamas and no apron, on the floor. I wish to continue painting and keep a journal of my pieces. Who knows, someday I may become famous and I can start selling them. ha ha ha..... A girl can only dream....

I was doodling one day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what?!