Thursday, April 30, 2020

Kitchenista

Ever since this RMO, I've been spending a lot more time in the kitchen. No one in my household enjoys my cooking so to be honest, long time ago my passion for cooking (if you can call it that!) died.

I started cooking very late. Growing up, I never really had to set foot in the kitchen. My mother, who is a single mom, handled everything on her own. Although I was her only daughter, I offered no help whatsoever. She didn't teach me how to cook. I never had to growing up.

When I was 17, I was sent to UK for college. There, I had to live on my own with 4 other Malaysian girls in this house in Nottingham. I was there for 3 months before I moved into a hostel in Cambridge. That 3 months in Nottingham, my housemates demanded that we each take turns to cook. I didn't even know how to cook rice. They taught me how to make simple things like sambal salmon, curry and most importantly, to cook rice. I was surprisingly pretty good cook too.

When I was living in the hostel, we had a cook. I didn't need to cook. I only started cooking again in University. That 3 years in uni, I cooked whenever I had to for myself. Most of the time, I bought takeaways. Cooking for 1 is a lot of hassle. It is easier, sometimes cheaper to just buy food.

In University and while I was working in UK, I did cook quite a bit. But once I returned to KL for good, I didn't need to cook again. Until, I got married and until I became a mum.

Somehow, I kind of lost the 'touch'. Maybe I am just lazy. My kids are both fussy eaters (maybe because my cooking sucked) and my husband doesn't really enjoy my cooking much. Some days are good while other days I'm sure he wishes I didn't cook. I guess there's not much motivation for me to cook.

Now that I am super bored at home. I am spending more time in the kitchen. I wish I am a better cook. I wish my husband and kids can appreciate the food I put on the table but I guess, they don't.

This week, I tried making Onde onde for the first time. It is a popular kuih especially during Ramadan in our household.  It can't be that difficult to make because I remember doing it in Kemahiran Hidup class in form 2. So I drove to 4 different locations around my house to look for ingredients. Who would have thought it will be so difficult to look for flour and grated coconut this RMO?

Tadaaaaa.....

It looks pretty good doesn't it?

Taste? Well, lets just say I am not ready to share it with people yet. Made with love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what?!